These flourless chocolate banana muffins make a nutritious snack for children on gluten or wheat-free diet. They’re also a great way for little ones to enjoy nuts safely.
When can I introduce my baby to almonds?
Almonds are a type of tree nut. And you can introduce your baby to them at any age. If almonds are a regular part of your family’s diet then it’s better to introduce them sooner rather than later. So, if you can try to get them into your baby’s diet by their first birthday. After that aim to offer them regularly.
Benefits of including tree nuts in your child’s diet
Nuts are a valuable source of nutrition for children and adults. They are:
- Rich in healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats that are important for maintaining a healthy heart.
- A good source of energy to allow children to grow and play.
- High in protein needed for growth and development in children and to help satisfy hunger.
- A good source of a range of health-promoting vitamins and minerals and disease-preventing antioxidants (including vitamin E, folate, zinc, magnesium and selenium).
- High in fibre which is essential for gut health.
- Different nuts contain different vitamins and minerals, so remember to regularly offer your children a variety of different nuts to receive all the goodness they have to offer.
These have a different texture to regular muffins
Because these muffins are made from ground almonds so they have a moist, almost fudgy texture.
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 90g caster sugar.
- 270g ground almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder (gluten-free if needs be)
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder and mix again.
- Pre-heat the oven to 150C
- Mash the bananas well
- Mix them with the cinnamon and sugar
- Add the almonds and the baking powder and combine
- Take out a third of the mixture and place in a separate bowl
- Add the cocoa powder and mix again
- Grease a 12-hole muffin tray and spoon in both flavours on either side of the hole
- Swirl a little with a skewer or cocktail stick for a marbled effect
- Bake for about 40 minutes